Approved Used Car Search
Under the Bonnet Checks
Checking fluid levels
Maintaining the fluid levels in your Mercedes-Benz can add years to the life of your engine, as well as help you avoid a breakdown. The really good news is that it’s quick and easy to do if you follow our step-by-step instructions*.
Only ever follow this process when the engine is cool.
- First of all, lift the bonnet.
- Then, find the dipstick and remove it.
- Once removed, wipe it clean with a cloth and re-insert it.
- Remove it a second time and check again.
- The correct level should be between the two hash marks near the bottom of the stick.
- Find the reservoir in the engine compartment on or near the firewall.
- Check if it’s at least two thirds full.
- Add fluid if the level is below two thirds full.
Note: Do not check your brake fluid outside if it is raining. It is important to keep your braking system dry.
Window Washing Fluid
- Locate the reservoir in the engine compartment.
- If empty, simply add water or washer fluid.
Note: for when the outside temperature drops below 0’C (32’F), use a specially formulated windshield washer fluid such as Mercedes-Benz WinterFit that will not freeze up. You can purchase Mercedes-Benz WinterFit from your local Mercedes-Benz Retailer.
* These checks are a general guide – for exact instructions, please refer to your Owner’s Manual.
When conducting any of these checks, please ensure that your engine is off and is cool.